dreaded masonite siding issues

Old 02-19-06, 06:23 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
dreaded masonite siding issues

I do charity work helping poor folks with home repairs and I am running into a lot of rotting masonite siding. Residing is out of the question due to cost. In most cases I need to replace only a few bottom courses, but I can't find replacement siding with the typical 7-8" lap with bead on bottom. I know this product is no longer made (due to class action lawsuit). Anyone have a product source or a practical solution?? I am in Charlotte NC area.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-06, 07:26 PM
Hardie makes a fibered concrete beaded lap siding:

http://www.jameshardie.com/builder/p...hardiplank.php

You can also have similar products made out of cedar or other woods.

Old 02-20-06, 02:33 PM
Masonite siding is still made with a 7" reveal lap and a 11" reveal lap. Just thought I would let you know. Good Luck

Old 02-22-06, 05:46 PM
thanks for replys

thanks to Manhattan42 and Jack the Contractor for info on masonite. The hardy plank probably makes the most sense because new masonite will eventually fail.

Old 02-22-06, 07:11 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 140 Votes on 125 Posts
jiminnc

I know your not their maintence person but paint is the best deterent for masonite failure. If masonite is/stays properly painted and caulked it can last for a long time. I know those who you are helping can't always stay on top of maintence but it would hurt to let them know how maintence sensitive masonite is.

You are to be congradulated for your work. I hope you recieve many blessings for your selfless work.

Old 02-23-06, 07:33 PM
Masonite class action lawsuit, not sure if its too late for your friends but they may be able to get a little bit of the big settlement?

Edited comment that was not beneficial to post.

Last edited by majakdragon; 02-24-06 at 06:48 AM.
Old 03-02-06, 06:17 PM
Red face thanks for the help

I appreciate all of your inputs. I did find Louisiana Pacific hardboard siding at Lowes with the right profile.

Old 08-31-09, 09:27 AM
I am also doing some Masonite replacement at my home and I have a question. Where in the world can I get those bands or clamps that are used to secure the end of one board to the end of the adjacent board?

Old 08-31-09, 10:59 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Welcome to the forums Kizzie!

I would assume they would be available anywhere masonite is sold.

I think the main purpose of those bands is to allow expansion/contraction of the siding. Not all builders used them - I've painted masonite both ways. A good oil primer and caulking job usually makes for no problems. I have seen some where the siding expanded pushing the caulk out - I assume those weren't oil primed.

Old 08-31-09, 01:09 PM
There weren't any where I bought the siding and I the stuff I bought if already primed, should I go over it again? I have no idea what type of primer was used.

Old 08-31-09, 04:49 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Most preprimed siding should be reprimed with a good exterior wood oil base primer! I have no confidence in factory primer on siding - maybe it just protects during storage and transit. Masonite is very moisture sensitive! A good coat of oil primer will help it to repell water - latex is ok for the top coat.