Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Exterior Paneling and All Exterior Sidings
Reload this Page >

Can I use old interior stucco primer on the exterior stucco?

Old 02-21-06, 06:47 PM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Hi,

I am painting the exterior of my house and it is a stucco finish. I found two gallons of old interior stucco primer. Can I use these on the exterior?

Thanks.
Hoang

Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-06, 07:57 PM
I guess you could use it if you wanted to. I would through it out and buy new fresh primer. You do not know how good your old primer is. It does not stay good forever. I guess I just believe in doing things right.

Old 02-21-06, 08:04 PM
H
Thank you Jack the Contractor. I will do as you suggested. Throw them out and buy new primer. Rather not have to paint again for awhile.

Thanks, again.

Old 02-22-06, 11:38 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 330 Votes on 293 Posts
I used to for a company in fla that routinely mixed in leftover latex paints to the primer for new stucco with good results. I DON'T KNOW HOW WELL THAT WOULD WORK IN OTHER CLIMATES

I do question your need for primer. Has your stucco previously been painted? Is the paint currently on the stucco chaulky? The biggest concern when repainting exterior masonary is the condition of the paint. Fresh paint doesn't adhere well to chaulk [dust] There are 2 ways to neutralize any chaulk that can't be removed by washing. #1 spray on an oil base masonary conditioner which binds up the chaulk making it paintable. or #2 add emulsa bond to latex paint - the amount to add is directly related to the severity of the chaulk.

Old 02-22-06, 01:09 PM
H
Thank you, marksr.

I have replaced some windows and enlarged some windows, so there are bare stucco. I have already scrubbed and washed the exterior. Now, I can spot prime and then paint. But I have decided to prime the whole exterior and then paint.

The condition of the paint is fine. I am just changing color.

Thanks for the reply.

Old 02-22-06, 07:14 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 330 Votes on 293 Posts
There is little benifit from priming already painted stucco. However 2 coats of finish paint will wear and look better than one.