Garage Door Window Broken

Old 03-28-06, 08:01 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Garage Door Window Broken

Help.

I need to replace the window in my garage door.

The problem is I have no idea how to get the frame out.

I am not sure if it is glued or snapped in or do I need a new one. I have called to get it replaced and can't find a company that replaces them.

I would prefer to do it myself if someone could tell me how to get the frame out. window broke so glass is not in there.

My garage door is alluminum if that makes a difference.

Thank you

Old 03-28-06, 02:20 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
"IF" your window is like the kind that I'm thinking of, you should find some small 5/16" plugs around the perimeter of the interior face frame. They will look like small circles, and are just plastic caps that cover up a screw head. You will need to destroy these plastic caps to get the window out. Take a cordless drill with a phillips bit, and using a drywall screw (or similar), run the screw into the center of the plastic cap. When the screw goes in far enough, it will hit the screw head and will force the plastic cap out, exposing the screw that holds the window in.

Once yu have removed all the caps, you can remove all the screws and remove the window frame. Then you can take the whole thing to a glass shop and they can replace the glass for you.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: