Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Exterior Paneling and All Exterior Sidings
Reload this Page >

New Hardiplank siding to paint, but being "forced " to use "old" paint to paint it...

New Hardiplank siding to paint, but being "forced " to use "old" paint to paint it...

Old 03-29-06, 06:19 AM
djmaher
Visiting Guest
Exclamation New Hardiplank siding to paint, but being "forced " to use "old" paint to paint it...

I live in a Planned Unit development-type community (think townhouses), and I just had my building resided with Hardiplank (at my expense). There has been some talk of using some Benjamin Moore paint that's at least 2 years old to paint my building now that it's been resided.

This paint has been used throughout the community by the painter of choice we use here, but this particular paint has been in storage since the last time we painted in the community. Some may be unopened, but likely the 20 gallons + are the leftovers for the last painting project in the community.

The paint has been stored in a small storage shed (with a small heat lamp) in the winter months here in Oregon-some freezing temps, but not like the East Coast, for example, and then moved outside during the warmer months to a large Rubbermaid storage closet-temps occasionally in the 90s on the real hot days. Not really optimum storage conditions.

The question are these: How long does paint last after opening? Does opened paint last as long as unopened paint? If this paint is used, will it last as long on the building? Does the fact that I have new construction make a difference, as opposed to painting over previously painted surfaces? Do certain brands of paint store better than others? Is it totally stupid to even consider using the old paint to cover the new siding??

I think I know the answers to most of these questions. My opinion would be to discard to old paint and start fresh. I'm no expert, but paint stored under less than idea conditions probably becomes unusable after awhile.

I need some expert advice so I can plead my case. Can someone give me some words of wisdom??

Thanks,

Dave

Old 03-29-06, 06:36 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
First off hardiplank should have a special primer applied first. SWP has a primer designed for it but I'm sure B Moore does too.

Paints can be stored indefinitetly under the right circumstances. As long as the paint hasn't froze [frozen paint will be thick [like joint compound]when it thaws out] Latex paint that hasn't froze will be ok providing it hasn't dried up - it definetly should be strained to remove any 'goobers' Unopened paint will last longer than an opened bucket will.

I wouldn't be leary of using 'old' paint providing it was the correct paint for the job, was clean [no trash] and hadn't froze. Old paint will often have a fowl odor but as far asI know this does not affect the quality [how it will last] of the paint.

BTW I store paint in a lightly insulated room in my barn that I heat with a small ceramic heater [only when absolutely necesarry] I just painted 1/2 of the inside of my house with paint that was 5 yrs old - no problems.

Old 03-29-06, 07:11 AM
djmaher
Visiting Guest
The installed Hardiplank is pre-primed from the manufacturer, said to be good for about 6 months before painting, although I hope it doesn't take that long for the Association to paint.

So, are you saying that it's common in the paint industry, as a general rule, to use "old" paint, as long as it's stored correctly??

Is there ever a time where the paint just becomes unusable? I guess because it's petroleum-based, it has longer shelf life, but it just doesn't seem right to use it if you have to change it or add stuff to it to make it usable..

What do you think??

Thanks,

Dave

Old 03-29-06, 09:45 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I assumed you were talking about latex paint. Oil base isn't hurt by freezing temps. I didn't mean to infer that using old paint was a common practice, just that paint doesn't necesarrily go bad just with age.

It is common place to strain old paint [sometimes new also] If any dried particles are removed and the paint is in a workable consistency it should be ok to use. Although it might be necesarry to add a small amount of thinner I would be leary of using it if it needed a lot of thinning to make it usuable.

In the S.E. oil base is hardly ever used on exteriors any more - latex holds up better. You might want to check with the hardiboard people to make sure that there is no problems using oil base. What is the best material to use in one region isn't always the best product for another region.

hope this helps

Old 03-29-06, 03:01 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
the hardiplank web site has a list of approved paints... i believe they are all supposed to be 100% acrylic latex paints, unless a stain is being used. I also think that their Benjamin Moore column says "call Benjamin Moore" for a list of current approved paints.

Regarding the paint storage, as long as the latex paint has not frozen, it should be ok. You'll want to stir all the cans with a mixer to ensure everything is blended. There should be no solid scum at all when you open the cans. With latex, add flotrol if it seems too thick. As Marksr mentioned, straining paint is a good idea, esp if somebody was painting out of the can. My boss likes to use old pantyhose for that, but make sure they are clean. (yuck!)

Old 03-30-06, 06:27 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by XSleeper
. My boss likes to use old pantyhose for that, but make sure they are clean. (yuck!)

Back in my hippie days when I first started painting professionally we always used panty hose to strain paint [occasionally I still do] You can imagine the looks I got everytime I went to the store to buy a pair of panty hose to strain paint. Somewhere along the line the paint stores started selling paint straining bags - 2 sizes - 1 gal & 5 gal.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: