Accessing overhang with aluminum soffits.

Old 03-30-06, 11:52 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Accessing overhang with aluminum soffits.

We bought a bungalow with aluminum eavestroughs, facia and soffit. The vent for the main bathroom is in the overhang, under the soffit, quite near the front door. Each winter we get a lot of ice build-up on the ground below where the vent is and in the spring, we get a lot of dripping around the area of the vent. I would like to extend the vent further from the door, but I cannot figure out how to remove the panels of soffit. How are they normally attached, so that I can remove a section for access. They seem to be loose within some sort of frame.
Thanks in advance for any help.
Phil

Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-06, 03:18 PM
Group Moderator
Received 247 Votes on 227 Posts
The soffit is usually nailed or stapled into the bottom of the fascia. Unfortunately, the front edge of the soffit is covered up by the bottom lip of the fascia cover.

My advice would be to plan on replacing 1 piece of fascia cover in the area you need to work. Take a tin snips and cut the bottom edge of the fascia cover in two places- on the far sides of where you intend to work. Cut through the bottom lip and up onto the face about 1/2". Keep in mind that if you have prebent fascia cover, it is 12' long. Once you've made those 2 cuts, score the face of the fascia cover with a sharp knife blade. If you used a sharp knife, you should be able to bend that section back and forth a few times, and it will snap off. Once it's removed, you can pull the nails or staples out of the soffit, and remove the pieces of soffit. Hopefully the installer did not nail the back side of the soffit- it usually fits into a j-channel or f-channel in back. If you can't get one piece out, try pulling on another. Once you get one of them out, the rest will come easier.

After you've done your work and have replaced the soffit, you'll just need to put on a new piece of fascia cover. You should be able to cut it to the right size and slip it behind the gutter, then nail it on.