15# Felt/Red Builders Paper vs Tyvek

Old 03-30-06, 04:09 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
15# Felt/Red Builders Paper vs Tyvek

One of the builders I've been talking to about doing Vinyl siding on my house plans to use this 15# felt stuff instead of Tyvek. He is planning to totally strip the house of its current bad wood siding, wrap with the Felt paper and hang all new very good grade vinyl (Certainteed I think). Tyvek I know, the red builders paper I know nothing about. Is this a good choice or is it too much corner cutting for this kind of job?
Any advise is greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Old 03-30-06, 08:13 PM
IHI
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by rmmagow
One of the builders I've been talking to about doing Vinyl siding on my house plans to use this 15# felt stuff instead of Tyvek. He is planning to totally strip the house of its current bad wood siding, wrap with the Felt paper and hang all new very good grade vinyl (Certainteed I think). Tyvek I know, the red builders paper I know nothing about. Is this a good choice or is it too much corner cutting for this kind of job?
Any advise is greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
Felt is a time proven barrier over exterior sheeting, if your guys wants to use it, this will work great and has proven the test of time.

Tyvek is also a good product and will serve the same purpose as the felt paper...but it will install alot faster so you guy could save time.

"Red Paper" I hope your not referring to rosin paper? This has no place on the exterior of your home.

Old 03-31-06, 07:03 AM
R
The contractor I am talking to is a third generation in the family business. I'm sort of convinced he'll be doing a decent job. I did some googling for the 15# felt paper and found that it is still considered OK to use. One thing though, it appears as if Tyvek might be slightly better at keeping warm air in the house. To be honest though, from what I've researched so far, it appears that if he wants to use the felt paper I can say go to it and not have any problems down the road. Thanks for your reply, it gave me more incentive to find out what all this means.

Old 03-31-06, 11:09 AM
S
I'd go with Tyvek

Tyvek (or a similar brand house wrap) is specifically designed to act as an air infiltration barrier, yet allow moisture from the inside of the house pass through to the exterior.

#15 felt will keep moisture and air out, but will not allow moist air to pass from the inside of the house to the exterior. This may or may not create issues with moisture buildup on the exterior sheeting.

I'd go with the Tyvek.

Old 04-01-06, 07:30 AM
Either one is just fine. I use both depending on the job. Tyvak is easier and quicker to install and cuts down on labor. But #15 is just fine. Sounds like your contractor is doing good.

Old 04-01-06, 08:00 AM
S
I just want to restate something already said in an earlier post but that must be strongly understood.

If RED PAPER was actually mentioned as possibly being used in any way as any part of your project other than to protect your floors from dirty feet or simular then........

Your contractor does not know what he's doing.

Old 04-01-06, 09:49 AM
Spavdid:
He has stated twice that the contractor is using #15 felt. Let the red paper die. It is not the same stuff your thinking about.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: