Economical alternatives to vinyl siding

Old 04-15-06, 07:05 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Economical alternatives to vinyl siding

Helllo there, everyone. I wonder if anyone has any suggestions for an economical alternative siding material. I am concerned about the negative safety and environmental aspects of vinyl (see http://www.myhouseisyourhouse.org) but do not have the money of a Rockefeller. A lot of the things I've seen online don't address cost in the discussion of alternative materials. I am thinking possibly cement board or aluminum. Any thoughts on these, how they compare in terms of cost/ease of maintenence/ease of installation?
-Joe

Old 04-17-06, 03:24 PM
IHI
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
LOL, comes across as "tree hugging" IMO. Seems like a simple blog wrote up by somebody that wants to sell somthing different. Anyways...

If going with cement siding, aluminum, steel, stucco, etc...just know they are NOT affordable/compariable in anyways shape or form to vinyl siding. Material costs are typically doubled and installation charges will be a minimum 1.5-3x's higher. Depending on maker the aluminum/steel should hold up for years to come-steel lasting much longer than aluminum, the paint is where the dowfall lies with these materials so if you get 20-30yrs from it your doing great.

Cement siding IMO is still too new to know exactly how it will work over the long haul-just like many of the new products on the market and a few we're finding have serious side effects (ACQ comes to mind).

Real stucco or EIFS is another great system but spendy and longevity will be determined on installation practices.

If you have'nt learned by now, there is nothing in this world that does'nt give you cancer. The pots/pans we use, the food we cook in them, the milk we drink all lead to problems that kill us and make us unhappy. So while your alive work your budget so you can get out and enjoy things in life before you become a statistic

Old 04-18-06, 05:57 AM
IHI said it pretty good. I looked at that web site, and my first impression was what are they trying to sell ? A scam I think. but that is not my business. Vinyl siding is hard to beat. Other types are more costly, higher installation costs, and probably not as long lasting. No one has ever proved to me that vinyl siding is harmful. Oh yes, I take that back. It is harmfull in that you hit your finger alot with the hammer when installing it. Good Luck

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: