Rotting siding and electricity

Old 04-21-06, 07:30 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Rotting siding and electricity

How does one replace siding where there are wires running through it. My siding has rotted around the junction box air conditioning controller, water softener controller and many other wires (don't know what they are for). I dont know how to get a) the siding off without electricuting myself, moreoto the point how does one get the next round of siding on without doing it in patchwork.

Can someone please advise

Old 04-21-06, 05:11 PM
Group Moderator
Received 854 Votes on 782 Posts
Getting the old siding off is pretty easy, you just rip it off! A reciprocating saw may help if it's not rotton in the location you want it to break. You didn't say what kind of siding it is, I'm assuming since it's rotton that its masonite lap siding.

As far as installing new siding around it, you have several choices:

Splice your siding right behind the box, (drill the correct size hole in the correct location, then cut the siding down the middle of the hole) making sure to caulk the seam where the 2 pieces meet.

Shut off the electricity, disconnect the wires, remove the box, drill a hole in your siding that is the proper size, slip the siding over the conduit, nail the siding up, and reinstall the box and wiring.

Or call an electrician to do the above electrical work if you do not feel competent in attempting it yourself.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: