soffit on brick

Old 04-26-06, 04:47 PM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
soffit on brick

what is the standard for attaching part e or f channel for soffit on a brick house?

tapcons seem way too expensive and time consuming.
someone was saying one of those guns that takes .22 loads but i was thinking this may crack the brick?
any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Old 04-26-06, 05:51 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
How far down on the brick are you going to install the soffit? A method is to install a frieze board over the top brick, say about 3 1/2" wide all the way around the house. Install this with tapcons above the level you will be installing the soffiting. Then you can screw or nail the f channel to the frieze board. I don't think a powder actuated nailer will be in your best interest with the brick.

Old 04-26-06, 06:08 PM
K
thanks chandler,
this is a friend of mines new house i will be helping with.
in this area i see most installers not using a freeze board. last
guy i talked with said to use the powder actuator and drive into the mortar joint?

Old 04-26-06, 07:29 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
any reason you aren't using a j-channel to the soffit framing instead of an f-channel? Let me guess... there's no soffit framing?

Old 04-27-06, 07:41 PM
K
you guessed correctly!
do i just need to find a crew working on a house and ask them....maybe?

Old 04-27-06, 08:12 PM
Group Moderator
Huh. Glad they don't build that way in my area. Well, if the brick is higher than the soffit level, I'd use an f-channel, with the nailing flange pointing upward, and attach it with tapcons similar to the way Chandler mentioned, but without the frieze board. You definately would not use a powder actuated nail gun to attach aluminum to brick!

Or is it possible to add a little soffit framing?

I've always seen the soffit installed first, and the bricklayers lay up to it.

Old 04-29-06, 01:35 PM
K
hey fellas i talked to a guy that had his house built and asked him and he said they used a self tapping screw that they ran into the mortar(hex head). i have searched the internet and havent found what i am looking for yet any suggestions. he said this is common practice but didnt know where to get them from?

Old 04-29-06, 09:19 PM
Group Moderator
the Tapcons that were mentioned previously. You drill a hole and insert the screw. 1/4" tapcons work best. You can get them pretty much anyplace.

Old 04-30-06, 06:31 PM
K
hey xsleeper he said these were not tapcons but a self tapping screw that had a hex head and were screwed right into the mortar without a pilot hole. he is going to try and get ahold of the sub and find out what these are and where he got them.

Old 04-30-06, 06:41 PM
Group Moderator
Huh! Let me know about them when you find out what they are. Sounds interesting.

Old 05-06-06, 12:18 PM
W
Received 63 Upvotes on 55 Posts
Smile Soffit on brick

When I did mine, the brick were barely high enough. I built framing to attach the inside J-channel. I attached this framing to the overhanging roof trusses. It took some time and was tedious, but it made a nice job. I used screws and washers rather than nails to attach the soffit. This is easier with a screw gun than nailing upside down.

Old 05-07-06, 04:31 PM
K
what we ended up using were the plastic anchors that have what looks like a nail in the center of them, drill holes and hammer them in. went very well and we drilled the holes into the mortar joint so drilling wasnt bad, i tried pulling one out and it wasnt gonna happen so i am confident they will hold for many years. as far as attaching the soffit i use a 1/4 crown stapler modified(safety nose removed). i also use that for the j-channel as the nose fits right in the channel.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: