Cover Exterior Trim

Old 05-06-06, 07:24 AM
W
Received 63 Upvotes on 55 Posts
Question Cover Exterior Trim

I have a brick veneer house with wood exterior trim. I would like to cover the wood trim with vinyl or aluminum to reduce painting requirements. Which is a better way to go - aluminum or vinyl? If aluminum, will a metal brake bend aluminum to fit a stepped profile on the rake boards? (two-piece rake made with a wide board and a narrow board). Thanks.

Old 05-06-06, 10:51 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
I've never used the vinyl trim coil, and no contractors in my area use it, so take that for what you will. But as far as aluminum trim coil is concerned, and how a metal break bends it, you can bend a two-piece fascia in one piece provided the smaller drip edge piece is at least 3/4 thick.

I've found it's often easier to wrap such things in two pieces, wrapping the lower larger fascia first, making a lip on top that will then be overlapped by the next piece when you cover the smaller drip edge trim.

Sometimes you do this to make the best use of material. For instance if you're using coil that is 24" wide, it's nice to work with 6" or 8" rips so that you don't have a lot of waste. The smaller pieces that might end up as "waste" can be used to cover smaller items, like that smaller drip edge trim that way.

If your question was regarding aluminum soffit v.s. vinyl soffit, I'd suggest aluminum every time, especially if your soffit is very wide. I don't care for the way vinyl soffit "bags down" under its own weight.

Old 05-06-06, 12:06 PM
W
Received 63 Upvotes on 55 Posts
Smile Cover Exterior Trim

Thank you, XSleeper, for your reply. Your comments really help.
Will try to remember to post results when the project is finished.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: