Painting Aluminum Siding

Old 05-01-06, 10:41 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Painting Aluminum Siding

I know I am creating a maintenece nightmare but can/should I paint my aluminum siding?? I have a chocolate brown ranch that was built in 1977 and still has the original siding, the siding is still in good shape and I am considering painting a much lighter color along of course with the eaves and anything else that's that awful color.

Any suggestions??

Thanks,

Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-06, 01:45 PM
Yes, you can paint your siding. However, there are a couple of things you must do first. You must wash it very good. You can then spray it with bleech if you want. Many do this. But the most important thing to do is to wash your siding just before you paint with a de-oxidizer. Otherwise your paint will peel off in a couple of years. Just got done painting a house where the man p[ainted it in 2001 and all the paint was peeling off. We cleaned it and de-oxidized it and painted it. You can get it at most any home improvement store or any good paint store. It comes by a variety of names so just ask them. Good Luck

Old 05-01-06, 03:52 PM
Painting is fine, just make sure everything is clean. I am not sure how going to a lighter color will go, I always painted a closely matching color.

Old 05-01-06, 03:55 PM
I think he will have to put on a stain blocker first as a primer coat. Thats what I would do.

Old 05-01-06, 05:18 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 120 Votes on 107 Posts
A stain blocking primer shouldn't be needed as the color won't bleed - good quality latex paint should cover with 2 coats.

The importance of prep can't be overstated. The oxidation/chaulk will prevent paint from bonding. I always wash as well as is feasable and then add floetrol to the first coat of paint.

Old 05-02-06, 03:39 PM
There is one drawback on aluminum siding now and watch your house,thieves.Thieves will rip off aluminum siding off houses and take the siding in for scrap metal.I have heard of this happening in my area.Just make sure it is clean to prior before painting

Old 05-03-06, 04:30 AM
marksr:
I do not mean to disagree with you, but your statement of "color won't bleed" is not a fact. It is a guess. I have seen some not bleed, and some not bleed. You never know. It is best to be safe and put on the color block primer. If he does not, and it does bleed, then we have given bad advice. This is not a good thing. Have a good day.

Old 05-03-06, 05:47 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 120 Votes on 107 Posts
Originally Posted by Jack the Contractor
marksr:
I do not mean to disagree with you, but your statement of "color won't bleed" is not a fact. It is a guess.

I did not base this statement on guess work. Having painted for 35+ years I know a little about paint. Colors don't bleed but different types of stain will. Cheap paint and certain colors don't cover well which will give the appearance of the previous color showing through. This doesn't mean that the previous color has bleed through but rather that the new paint has failed to cover. An extra coat or better quality paint will solve this.

I probably should add that 2 colors - yellow and pink, are notorious for bad coverage and with those colors it may be be more cost effective to apply a coat of white primer first.

Old 05-04-06, 01:59 PM
And either way you will land up with 2 coats of paint on the siding....

Old 05-04-06, 06:16 PM
Hellrazor is absolutely correct. Wait a minute, didn't I say that?