Siding -- Cedar or Fiber Cement Options

Old 05-01-06, 11:38 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Siding -- Cedar or Fiber Cement Options

I have a house with 50-year old wood shingles that are warped and falling down (and ugly). The original wood lap siding is underneath the shingles. I am planning to remove the shingles and replace them with either new wood shingles or fiber cement, specifically:

Option 1: Maibec white cedar shingles, pre-painted with 2 coats of Cabot Factory Finish (Cabot guarantees the paint for 15 years, although they suggest repainting every 6-8 years). Home Slicker Plus http://www.benjaminobdyke.com/html/products/slickplus.html would go underneath the shingles.

Option 2: Pre-primed Hardiplank siding, painted on site, also with Home Slicker Plus underneath. The contractor will charge $1,300 more for labor, because it is heavier than the cedar.

We like the look of both options. I am hoping in either case not to have to re-paint for at least 10 years. Do you have any suggestions about which option to choose? If I get pre-primed cedar shingles instead of pre-painted shingles, would the paint job last a reasonably long time?

Secondly, do you think it is essential to remove not only the old shingles but also the old lap siding? It is certainly covered with lead paint.

Advice is much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-03-06, 06:44 PM
johnemi1
Visiting Guest
I looked into the Hardi shake staggered and straight edge for my new construction. It was almost twice the price of the Certainteed Perfection weatherboards. The guys at the building supply place also said they liked the Certainteed better. Real cedar shakes are high maintainence compared to the fiber cement boards. I also looked into vinyl cedar look siding but it would be way too cost prohibitive. The Nichiha shake was a good price but was not recommended for whole house siding. Anyone have any experience with the Certainteed product?