Vinyl board and batten siding

Old 05-03-06, 12:10 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Vinyl board and batten siding

I would like to install vertical vinyl siding over T-111 which is starting to look bad.I assume I have to use a J-channel across the bottom,but what do I use across the top?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-03-06, 12:27 PM
Originally Posted by Larryu
I would like to install vertical vinyl siding over T-111 which is starting to look bad.I assume I have to use a J-channel across the bottom,but what do I use across the top?
J channel is used for the sides of the siding. For the bottom you cut the locking strip that is on top of every piece of siding off and nail it to where you want to start saving the piece of siding for the top cut where you would have to cut the strip off anyway. For the top you use "stop strip" or undersill strip which is a finished folded over strip that the cut piece of siding can slide into. Sorry a little hard for me to explain clearly so you may want to check out this site. which has some basics.
http://www.dixieline.com/vinylsiding/vinylside1.html

Old 05-03-06, 12:57 PM
This is vertical board and batten siding.The bottom of each piece will have to be retained by something which I thought would be a J-channel type piece.

Old 05-03-06, 01:11 PM
Originally Posted by Larryu
This is vertical board and batten siding.The bottom of each piece will have to be retained by something which I thought would be a J-channel type piece.
I apologize. Somehow I missed the vertical part. I'm afraid I don't have any personal experience with vertical siding but surely anyone you purchase the siding from will have the accessories. Afraid I couldn't find anything readily on the web about it.

Old 05-05-06, 07:52 PM
If you cuuld poist a pic, I bet we could hit the nail right on the head!

Old 05-10-06, 11:13 AM
i have always used j-channel on the top as well as the bottom.
hope this helps. get the smallest j-channel they have i.e. 1/2". they may even have a special j-channel for that, ask.