Vertical Edges On T1-11 Siding; Sealing Of

Old 05-11-06, 06:01 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Vertical Edges On T1-11 Siding; Sealing Of

Hello,

Hate to be a pest on this, but there is so much expertise in
this group, that I thought I'd ask again, hoping someone new might have any experience with this. I have been doing extensive lookups myself, honest, but just can't come up with any answers.

With T1-11 wood siding, I understand pretty much how the horizontal edges are sealed with Z-flashing, and how these edges should alo be primed, and spaced about 1/4" above the flashing to prevent any wicking into the end grain via capillary action.

But, it's the vertical edges where they abut the neighboring panels that I can't understand how they are sealed. Are they just primed with some sealer, or is their a special type of flashing, or are they caulked (prior or after putting up ?), or... ?

What is normally, or should be done, for these vertical edges ?

Any information would be most appreciated.

Much thanks,
Bob

BTW: are oil based sealer and primers O.K., or should one use only a latex type ?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-11-06, 09:18 AM
Group Moderator
Received 194 Votes on 180 Posts
the pieces overlap one another, and nothing is normally done to that joint, aside from painting/staining the crack when the rest of the siding is painted.

Old 05-11-06, 02:09 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 120 Votes on 107 Posts
As XSleeper pointed out the sides of the T-111 panels overlap. Usually paint is all that is needed although sometimes it looks better if caulked - especially true with light colors.

T-111 should be primed and painted, not stained. Most T-111 manufactures advise against staining as it doesn't provide enough protection for what is basically plywood.

I would use an oil base exterior wood primer and finish with latex house paint.

Old 05-12-06, 04:32 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
From OP: Oil Based Primers O.K. On T1-11 & Engineered Wood ?

Hi,

Thank you all for the info. on my last post.

Anyone know if it is O.K. to use oil based primers on these engineered wood plywood products such as this T1-11 ?

I read somewhere that the oil attacks the glue holding the laminates together, and one should only use latex primers.

Is this true ?

Thanks,
Bob

Old 05-12-06, 04:59 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 120 Votes on 107 Posts
Originally Posted by Robert111
I read somewhere that the oil attacks the glue holding the laminates together, and one should only use latex primers.
Is this true ?

I have been a painter for 35+ yrs and never heard that before. Oil base primers seals better than latex and IMO is the best product to prime T-111. I have almost always oil primed new T-111 and top coated with latex.

Primer only marginally soaks into the plywood and I don't see how it could affect the glue.