Vinyl siding - half-rounds on gable.

Old 05-15-06, 12:34 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Vinyl siding - half-rounds on gable.

On the side of my house I am using horizontal siding. On my front I am using cedar perfections.

I have peaks on the front and the sides where I will use half-rounds.

When putting the half-round on top of horizontal siding, I know I am supposed to take my measuremnets so that I end up with a full, single half-round at the peak. To do this, I measure down and cut the nail flange off of my last row of horizontal piece and then put a starter strip over that.

But, when I put half-round over perfections, do I do the same? The half-round hooks right into the perfection. But, in my case, I will be laft with a singlehalf round at top that is only about 1.5 inches in height.

Im not sure if I should cut the nail flange off of my last row of perfections and install a new stater strip, or just let the last half-round fall where it does. In either case, I will center it. Its jus a matter of ho tall the last row is.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-16-06, 05:16 AM
For the sake of my continuing education, what is a cedar perfection? I am not familiar with that term. Thanks

Old 05-16-06, 01:43 PM
As I understand it. "cedar perfections" are cedar shingles but as opposed to the rough cut, they are the ones that are "perfectly cut". Well, not perfect , but much more uniform than the rough cuts. Someone told me once that it got its name from when the shingles were first machines instead of being cut and formed with a hatchet. I guess its true.

The vinyl makers make this same style - so they are still called perfections.

If you look at vinyl siding jobs, youll see horizontal siding and then shingles - most of the shingles you see are perfections.

I think Im pretty accurate on this.

Old 05-17-06, 04:12 AM
Thanks for the info. I know what you are referring to, but I had never heard that term.