Melamine MDF

Old 05-18-06, 07:48 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Melamine MDF

I am going to build some cabinets and would like to use the 3/4 inch melamine MDF material. Can anyone tell me where I can buy the 4 X 8 sheets of this material? I can't seem to locate a supplier. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-19-06, 10:56 AM
I have never seen 4 x 8 of melemine. I have seen 2 x 4, 2x6, 2x8, but no 4 x 8 sheets. I am not sure if they even make it. Good Luck

Old 05-21-06, 07:10 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I don't even know that you could pick it up if they did make it. The 3/4 MDF is quite heavy, and unwieldy in large sizes.

Old 05-21-06, 09:28 AM
Thanks for your responses. I have finally found a source - Hogan's Hardwoods. However, now I discovered that it comes either with an MDF core or a particle board core. Can you give me any guidance as to which core would be better to use for furniture such as a sewing cabinet?

Old 05-22-06, 04:34 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I, too found the particle board laminate today at the orange big box. It weighs a ton!!!
I am a wood type guy, so the particle board for construction is almost not done. It has virtually no structural integrity, especially when the unit can be subject to being moved. If you have ever had one of those inexpensive cabinets to assemble and miss a hole, or tighten too tightly, it crumbles in your hands.
Would it be possible for you to build the cabinet itself out of 3/4 sandeply (7ply cabinet grade plywood at about $36 per 4x8 sheet), and then maybe the top out of the laminate with wood trim on the edges? Just an idea.