Finding studs

Old 05-20-06, 07:59 AM
namber
Visiting Guest
Finding studs

How do I find the studs through aluminum siding to hang wood window boxes? If I cant find the studs what sort of anchors should I use to mount the brackets to the wall?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-20-06, 09:14 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If your house is stick built ad the windows traditionally framed, there will be jack and king studs framing the window rough opening. There should also be saddle (sill) framing directly below the window. An inch or two either side of the window should put you at one of the studs. The saddle should be an inch or so below the window sill.

Old 05-20-06, 12:48 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Also be careful not to pull your boxes too tight against the siding, as it will dent, and will require body work to fix it should you ever want to remove the boxes. It may require you to install a cleat along the bottom of the window box about 1/2" deep to keep the box level against the house.
Another way to find the studs is to use a standard sonar type stud finder on the inside next to a window, locate a couple, making sure they are 16"oc, and measure from a window sill out to a stud, then use the same measurement on the outside, only work back to your window, locating each stud under it at 16"oc.

Old 05-21-06, 05:26 AM
namber
Visiting Guest
Thanks folks