how to clean manfactured home siding

Old 06-05-06, 07:28 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question how to clean manfactured home siding

Hello-the siding on my home is 3 years old and dull-can I paint or clean. And how difficult is stuccoing it for the DIY ((I am afraid of the answer)) thanks for any help:

Sponsored Links
Old 06-05-06, 02:01 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Golfalots, Welcome to the DIY Forums.
You didn't say what material you now have. Most are vinyl or aluminum. These can be cleaned with a power washer or by hand. If you decide to paint (on either of these materials) make sure you do it when it is cool. They both expand in the heat of the day and when they cool off, you will see how much they expanded by where the paint ends and the old color shows. Also, use a Latex paint. Stucco.....good luck. Not something I would try.

Old 06-06-06, 03:30 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 120 Votes on 107 Posts
Unless you just don't like the color I wouldn't paint 3yr old siding [assuming it is aluminum or vinyl] As majak said you clean by hand or pressure washer. It isn't hard to do without a pressure washer, you can either use a specialty cleaner or just simple laundry detergent will work [add a little bleach if mildew is present] One of those soft car washing brushes works well to both apply and scrub any stubburn areas. Be sure to rinse well.

I wouldn't advise stuccoing a MH. Due to the way they are constructed and set up there is too much chance of movement which would cause the stucco to crack. Using wire lath and stucco for underpinning is doable. You would just need sufficent framing to hold the lath - lath over plywood or stryofoam works best.