Facia replace with Hardi?

Old 06-10-06, 10:29 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Facia replace with Hardi?

Found some termite damaged facia board and want to replace with Hardi plank but not sure if board is providing structural support. The board runs horizontally and abutts each of the boards (eaves?) that frame the roof. I have two more such boards that are cracked beyond easy repair so if this seems like just cosmetic trim, I want to replace them with hardi. Why are these boards 2 X 6 and not 1 X 6 if they are just cosmetic?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-06, 01:32 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
They do provide structural strength to the rafter tails and it gives something to attach a nice fascia to without having to have gaps between the tails for the fascia to warp. I always like to see dimensional lumber as fascia backing attached to the rafter tails. That way you know there is something solid behind there.
If the termite damage has been halted and there is no substantiave damage to the wood, you can hardi right over the structural lumber, and replace the drip edge at the same time.

Old 06-10-06, 09:08 PM
Strength of concrete

I understand the idea of wood giving a certain amount of strength. I just wonder if the hardi, being mainly concrete, would not provide the same or even better strength?

Not sure what is meant by drip edge, can you clarify?

Old 06-11-06, 03:09 PM
i used azek , a composite material that has all the properties of wood, but is weather and insect resistant

Old 06-11-06, 04:35 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
If your rafter tails decide to twist, the hardiplank will not be structural enough to keep from breaking. It is made from concrete to deter deterioration, not provide structural strength.
Drip edge is the aluminum angle pieces in 10" lengths placed on the edge (of course) of the roof and along the edge of the rake board. You will then apply your ice barrier or felt paper, and then your shingles. It provides continuous runoff of water, and has a little flip out edge that keeps the water from moving upward in a capillary motion toward your wood.

Old 06-12-06, 12:35 PM
When do rafters twist?

My 1968 home is in SoCal, so it gets hot, no snow, some rain. I've noticed some homes in my neighborhood that do not have facia boards at all.

I checked out Azek, which seems like a good product too, but it would cost me about twice as much as the Hardi.

Since the house is so old and probably done twisting, I am wondering if Hardi is not the best answer in this case?

Old 06-22-06, 10:32 AM
I just put up 3/4x6 Hardi, so it does come in that size. First I installed 2x4 wood to the truss ends and then nailed the 3/4x6 Hardi to it.

Note that the different finishes on Hardi Trim does not all come in the same sizes.

See http://www.jameshardie.com/homeowner/prodhome/harditrim.php

Good Luck,

DWC