porch ceiling

Old 06-13-06, 10:19 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
porch ceiling

We want to put vinyl or aluminum soffit siding on the ceiling of our porch which is 6'x 19'. Currently the cedar boards which cover it now run lengthwise and my neighbors who have porches, the boards run lengthwise too.

I want to put siding on because we have a problem with carpenter bees. The pest company said they can get rid of them this year, but no promises for next year. I get some holes every year. I am leaning toward aluminum so that any bees that didn't get killed with pest company will not find their way out of the aluminum siding.

My husband wants this to be a DYI project and wants to put the soffit siding on widthwise (short length) because it will be easier. Is there any reason to put it on lengthwise which I should know? Will it look ugly or non-standard widthwise?

thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-06, 07:50 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Make note, you will be installing soffiting, not siding on the ceiling, OK? Yes, he is correct that intstalling it across the shorter dimension is easier, and it will look fine, and like striped clothing, will make the porch seem wider. Less cutting and fitting, also. Aluminum will be a bear to install and keep from denting. It also, will not keep carpenter bees at bay any more or less than vinyl. They generally go for a horizontal surface in the open, so have it treated well prior to covering it up.

Old 06-16-06, 05:34 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
soffit

I think I see what you mean, it is either soffit or siding, soffit is not a type of siding. The plan was to use soffit.
thank you