Exterior Paint or Exterior Stain?

Old 06-22-06, 06:00 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Exterior Paint or Exterior Stain?

Hi -

We are getting ready to change the exterior color of our house. On the cedar shingles right now is solid-color latex stain, approximately 6-7 years old (put on by previous owner), that shows no signs of peeling at all, just fading. We are trying to decide whether to go with stain again, or to use paint.

The guy at the paint store that I go to told me that, if the job is done properly, paint will last 3-4 years longer than stain. This was a surprise to me, and if anyone can comment on this I would appreciate it. If this is true, why would people use stain?

My worst nightmare is to have a peeling house. My thinking was that when paint fails, it peels; when stain fails, it fades. Again, I was surprised to hear from a couple of painters that both will peel if the job is not done correctly, and/or there is moisture trapped behind the first coat. If anyone can comment on this I would appreciate it.

So, after all this, back to the original question - what should we use, paint or stain? I will appreciate any and all thoughts, advice, suggestions, etc.

Thanks,

David

Old 06-22-06, 02:54 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
I'd suggest you go with the solid color latex stain. And you are exactly right on all counts. The only time you might see stain peel is if it was applied too thick, or perhaps if 3 coats of stain were applied when the instructions tell you to only apply one or two.

Old 06-22-06, 03:56 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Paint will last longer than stain. Stain is more trouble free and requires less prep both now and later. I agree that you should continue to use stain. The only time I have ever seen stain peel is when there was a contaniment under the stain.

Old 06-23-06, 06:09 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thank you

Thank you both for the helpful suggestions.

David

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: