First time powerwasher

Old 06-27-06, 09:54 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
First time powerwasher

Hi, planning to powerwash my house for the first time. It is cedar shingles.

I have heard that an effective powerwash is a delicate balance between diameter of spray and distance from surface. So...what spray setting and distance are a good guideline? I do not have any big hunks of mold growing...just dirty and a little bit green...suggestions?

Also, should I use bleach or is there some kind of wood conditioner I should mix in with the water?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-27-06, 10:13 AM
Cedar is soft, so a high pressure stream may well damage the wood itself. Start with a wide stream and keep the pressure low to see how it works. A good mixture for cleaning siding is household bleach mixed 25% with water and a tablespoon of Tide. Wet the siding, spray this mixture on and let it set for 5 minutes, wash off with a spray of water. Avoid spraying upwards underneath the siding to avoid water getting behind the siding. To avoid damage to plants and such, rinse the surrounding area well to dilute the mixture.

Hope this helps.

Old 06-27-06, 01:33 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 120 Votes on 107 Posts
I agree. Except when covering plants works better I always wet them down first and then rinse them also. This helps to minimize any damage from the bleach.

Old 07-03-06, 05:37 AM
Thanks for the tips...went really well except for the fact that it took me about 15 hours total. I was using a 1400 PSI washer...how long does it take witha higher output washer anyhow?

Anyway, house looks beautiful...a dark cedar color. Is there anything I need to put on this wood now or is it good to go and naturally weather?

Old 07-03-06, 08:23 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 120 Votes on 107 Posts
Originally Posted by keniz138
. Is there anything I need to put on this wood now or is it good to go and naturally weather?

It all depends on your preferences. Some prefer the weathered look and cedar does weather well. Others like the newer cleaner look and will use various stains - anything from a clear to many different stain tints - almost all based on the look you want.