Repaint Aluminum Siding or Upgrade to Vinyl?

Old 06-29-06, 09:40 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Repaint Aluminum Siding or Upgrade to Vinyl?

My husband and I have a 1925 house that at some point was sided with aluminum. We've been cited by our city because the aluminum siding needs to be repainted. We can't decide whether to just go ahead and replace the aluminum with vinyl, or paint. We know that vinyl requires less maintenance and is more durable, but we like the lower-cost option of painting the aluminum. Any advice?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-29-06, 12:53 PM
There is one problem with aluminum siding these days:thieves.The theives rip it off of houses,the siding on the ground and take it in for scrap metal.This is happening in my area even on the new houses.

Old 06-29-06, 04:26 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 118 Votes on 105 Posts
Welcome to the forums

Aluminum siding can be painted and it will last a long time if done correctly. First you need to clean it well and remove all of the chaulk. If all the chaulk is impractical to remove add emulsa bond to the first coat of paint. Use a good quality latex house paint.

There is a rental house that I drive by periodically that I washed and painted the alum about 12 yrs ago. I cleaned it well and sprayed 1 coat of SWP A-100 satin on it [would have preferred to use a better grade] The house still looks good as you drive by at about 40 mph.

Old 06-29-06, 05:30 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I second the motion. I too have a rental painted several years ago and emulsibond was used in the paint to help with the chaulk/bonding. You can wash old paint on aluminum siding till the cows come home and often still keep getting chaulk up until you have no more paint left on the siding.

Old 07-03-06, 12:41 PM
"We've been cited by our city because the aluminum siding needs to be repainted."

%$&^[email protected]* bureaucrats!