Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Exterior Paneling and All Exterior Sidings
Reload this Page >

Do I need to remove plywood siding before installing hardiboard?

Old 07-02-06, 11:40 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Hello,
I'm interested in installing hardiboard 4x8 panels that have the stucco like texture. I've read I can do this instead of using lath and 2 brown coats of traditional stucco, and I would apply the finish stucco coat over the hardiboard.
My concern would be the overall weight. Do I need to remove the existing plywood siding? Is this what's known as T1-11?
If I can go over the existing siding, would Tyvek be a better moisture barrier than regular 15# felt paper? I live in FL and see Tyvek going on all the new houses around here. Is the benefit that it allows the house to breathe while not letting moisture in?
Assuming that I use the existing siding, then Tyvek, then the hardiboard 4x8 stucco panels, then a finish coat of stucco on top of that, would that be too much weight on the studs? They are 2x4's and spaced two feet apart.
Thanks in advance for your help.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-06, 08:32 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Tyvek, yes. Don't worry about the weight on the studs. All your pressure is vertical and is spread out. Worry, instead on the finish depth of your wall. Take into consideration the door and window trim. You don't want the finished wall protruding past the brick mold on the doors and windows. It just sounds as if you will be adding an additional 1/2" of material overall.