Feedback on Duramax exterior paint

Old 07-04-06, 06:03 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Feedback on Duramax exterior paint

Has anyone heard anything about American Tradition Duramax exterior paint? It's supposed to act as primer and paint in one; they claim you only need one coat of this stuff. It seems a bit too good to be true. I also don't understand why it wasn't included in Consumer Reports' recent issue on paints they've tested. It's only been available for about 3 years which also concerns me. Any thoughts on it would be appreciated. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-06, 08:50 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 169 Votes on 150 Posts
Welcome to the forums

I'm not sure if I have ever used any of american tradition paints. Generally you get better paint at a paint store than you do at any of the big box stores.

SWP's Duration also claims to be self priming. Basically what that means if there are little areas that are raw you can paint over them without priming. Large areas without paint and new wood should still have primer applied.

hope this helps

Old 07-05-06, 09:09 AM
Duramax

Thanks Mark...I appreciate your input. I think we're leaning back to our original plan of using either Benjamin Moore or Glidden primer and California Velvet paint.

Old 07-26-06, 11:51 PM
Re: Duramax

Originally Posted by TonyT
Has anyone heard anything about American Tradition Duramax exterior paint? It's supposed to act as primer and paint in one; they claim you only need one coat of this stuff. It seems a bit too good to be true. I also don't understand why it wasn't included in Consumer Reports' recent issue on paints they've tested. It's only been available for about 3 years which also concerns me. Any thoughts on it would be appreciated. Thanks.
Tony,

I just completed painting my house with Duramax both on the base color and the trim.

I used an airless sprayer to aply the base and was very happy with the results. Other than my lack of experience using a sprayer, I think for the most part it looks great and one coat was all it needed. I used a moss green for the base and as long as it was applied properly, the base origional color did not show through at all.

As far as the trim, I used the satin white. I did find that I did have to go back over for a second coat, especially on the metal gutters, but I used very little paint the second time around. Basically ended up being 1 1/2 coats for the trim. The final result looks super and I don't have any complaints.

It is very pricey though. Base and trim included, I ended up using 20 gallons for my house. At $32 a gallon, it hurt every time I went to Lowes. Quite a but less than paying someone else to do it, and it saved a lot of time since I did not have to prime first.

Old 08-12-07, 06:56 AM
Smile Duramax is great

I love this paint. Last year I painted an old shed that had rough texture exterior panels with Duramax. I used a bright "caution" yellow after turning
the shed into a greenhouse. This paint dries to quickly to form a hard protective coating. While the rough surfaces required a couple of coats, the end results were fantastic. A year later the satin surface (almost a gloss)
looks like I just painted it, and the color has not faded. This year I am using
it on some Kentucky horse board fencing. WOW, the white just so bright and
clean looking, I can't stop looking at it. I am using one coat on the fence
which was peeling some places. It covers over the peeling spots almost like
a glue. It truly does provide a "protective coating" more than any paint I
have used from the professional paint stores.

It is pricey...I did catch a rebate once. I actually went on-line to see if another paint company was offering anything similar. I'm hoping some
competition will drive the price a down a little. I want paint my 1812
house with this paint. I need more rebates.

This is the best exterior paint I have ever used, and I have tried every
major brand out there.

Old 02-01-08, 02:32 PM
Better than Sherwin Williams Duration ?