Can anyone tell me what these are?

Old 07-06-06, 02:07 PM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Can someone tell me what these are called?

Giving house a facelift, but unsure what to do with the butress thingys under the window box. I have examined the interior (crawlspace) and the exterior overhang and determined that they appear decorative, but I am unsure how to remove them. Does anyone think they are structural? I have no idea what to do with them but removing them would make the stone work I'm planning to do easier.

pictures here:

http://hels.com/house/Siding3.gif
http://hels.com/house/Siding4.gif

Old 07-06-06, 02:28 PM
how do they attach ?

hard to tell from the pictures but are they supporting the "window box " ?

Old 07-06-06, 02:35 PM
B
You said you went into the crawl space. Do these run along the joists a ways? I can't tell really but it looks like they do. Unless they are just scabbed on the outside and are obviously just ornamental I would consider them structual. BTW you don't want to double your threads up. You will get the mods angry with you and you wouldn't want that lol

Old 07-06-06, 03:04 PM
H
that's just it. I don't know how they attach. I looked in the crawl space and they are not protruding thru to the back. There are flooring joists or framing at even intervals along the width of the box perpendicular to the house so I assume they support all the weight, not these things.

Old 07-06-06, 03:10 PM
H
I'm trying to get answers. Period. I wasn't sure where to post this one. In the past I have found the categories a bit limited in the EXTERIOR department, hence the double post.

No I do not see them running int the crawlspace and tied into the framing. I may just trim them down a bit to make them more rectangular, IE cutting off the protruding hump. I am re-facing with cultured stone below the cut line in the pictures with a flashed trim piece as a cap.

Originally Posted by BuiLDPro68
You said you went into the crawl space. Do these run along the joists a ways? I can't tell really but it looks like they do. Unless they are just scabbed on the outside and are obviously just ornamental I would consider them structual. BTW you don't want to double your threads up. You will get the mods angry with you and you wouldn't want that lol

Old 07-07-06, 04:51 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
I love my reciprocating saw. Never leave home without it. If you don't plan on replacing them, and you will be rocking the surface, cut them off flush. It appears to me they are attached with a spindle of some sorts. Note the hole at the rounded end. There is probably a peg or bolt in that hole that keeps it tight on the spindle. The spindle, however may be a steel plate, so you will notice the sparks when you try to cut it.

Old 07-08-06, 06:20 AM
nomercadies
Visiting Guest
Wiggle

It seems if you removed or opened the notch above your protrusion and struck the ... rounded thingie ... lightly on one side or the other, it should wiggle a little if it is just scabbed to the house, but if it runs through into something substantial, it should offer solid resistance. Make sense?

Old 07-08-06, 06:39 AM
nap
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
As others have posted, it is difficult to see if they are structual or not. Based upon the pics, I can;t tell where the floor joists are. If they are well below the window, (as in not continuing out under the window) I would suggest that those things do provide some structural support.

Have you considered trimming them square (even reccessing them a bit) and building a pier (include a foundation) below each of them. This would leave a pocket between them so as to not intrude on your wild looking water system.

Old 07-08-06, 09:21 AM
H
Thumbs up

yeah, I'll trim them first. I'm just going to cut the hump off flush with the siding. The rest of the house is very square rectangular 60's except for these ..rounded thingys...

and the water system... of all places to put that eh? spare no expense.
I may route that off to the side for cosmetics. It's just ridiculous. The main feed from the street pops up htere, then goes back into the house, but the hose tap, and sprinkler sys is comingled. Beautiful no?

I'll provide an update as I make progeress.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: