Green stuff on vinyl siding

Old 07-14-06, 08:45 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Green stuff on vinyl siding

I have vinyl siding and on the north side of each building, green stuff keeps appearing on it. I have tried pressure washing, x-14, bleach, etc. and a brush, but it keeps coming back. In fact, I need to pressure wash each of the five buildings about every 7-8 weeks.

Does anyone know what is causing this? Or perhaps a product that will help reduce or preferably eliminate this problem? I'm getting too old to keep this up!

Any help will be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-15-06, 02:01 AM
I would say it is Moss. I believe Moss is a form of mold but not positive. This is the same stuff you find on the North side of trees and I would inquire at a Home Center as to what products will cure this. You may find that it will always come back. Good luck.

Old 07-15-06, 04:46 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 119 Votes on 106 Posts
Mildew is usually black so I agree with majak that it probably moss. Is there a lot of trees, shrubery,etc. on the north side? Sometimes removing/pruning some of the growth will help slow it down.

Old 07-15-06, 03:54 PM
Well it is definately green. No black at all.

Not really a lot of trees or shrubery. And nothing within 30-50 feet, some have nothing at all within 200 feet.

I did notice that there isn't much sun exposure on the north side vs. the other sides. Some get none at all which I don't understand. Would that have anything to do with it?

Old 07-15-06, 04:04 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 119 Votes on 106 Posts
I've not had to deal with much moss. Mildew likes to form on areas that stay damp - like when the dew hits and the sun doesn't dry it off [north side] Lots of shade makes it worse.

Hope you find a solution [post back when/if you do] I know it's no fun having to do the same work over and over again. You might try contacting a vinyl siding dealer or manufacture and see if they recomend anything other than just cleaning.

Old 07-15-06, 08:12 PM
Well, here is a link that basically says I will be cleaning it forever!! But I thought this link might be helpful to others with different siding stains or cleaning problems.
http://www.popularmechanics.com/home_improvement/home_owner_clinic/1275226.html?page=4&c=y