clapboard prep for painting

Old 07-28-06, 03:50 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
clapboard prep for painting

Our house is covered in some type of engineered siding; it's not vinyl or aluminum. It appears to be some sort of particle board or something.

We're planning on repainting our house a different colour. I've read all the guides I could find online, and they all suggest washing with a TSP solution, spot scraping and sanding, priming any exposed wood, then painting.

My question is: are there any special steps that I need to take to prepare the surface? I'm not sure if the existing paint is oil or latex, but we're planning on using latex acrylic and I've read that you can apply that over any type of paint. Do I need to prep the surface in any special way, or just make sure it's clean?

Thanks.

Old 07-29-06, 05:47 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 832 Upvotes on 729 Posts
Latex should only be applied over well weathered oil base paint, I don't recomemnd applying oil over latex on the exterior.

It is always a good idea to wash siding prior to painting - paint sticks better on a clean surface. Care should be used so you don't overly soak composites - they can be damaged from obsorbing water. A bleach solution should be used if there is any mildew present.

Prime any raw areas, you may or may not want to sand away the edge of scraped areas and then you should be ready for paint.

Old 07-29-06, 06:14 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
That's great; I will do all that.

Just as a side note, what is the name of that type of siding? Either a brand name or the generic type? I need to find some to cover an old window opening that I will be closing, and if I can find some that matches, I will be very happy. If not, I'm going to have to use some type of wood that's ripped to the proper dimension.

Old 07-29-06, 06:21 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 832 Upvotes on 729 Posts
The 2 most common [atleast in the S.E.] are masonite and an osb product that has some type of covering to simulate wood grain. I'm sure there are other similiar products also.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: