Opinions on Hardi Vented Soffit please.

Old 07-29-06, 03:27 PM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Opinions on Hardi Vented Soffit please.

I think the idea of their vented soffit is great. In the midwest however it would seem like a great place for wasps to start building a nest. Anyone have issues with it? Maybe a guy could glue some fiberglass screen to the backside. Anyone?

Obviously the title should be 'vented'...I get fat fingered sometimes.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-30-06, 03:59 AM
B
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
I have never actually seen their vented soffit material, but it sure seems to me like you would want to cover those holes with some screening if they were big enough for wasps to get into.

BTW, when I built a 3 season porch abouit 4 years ago, I used thier sheet stock for soffit material and added the 8" x 16" vents. Let me tell you, if you're thinking about doing this yourself, invite a few friends over to help. That stuff is REALLY heavy! And really floppy. So hard to wouk with that when I re-sided the rest of the house with Hardiplank, I used aluminum for the soffits and facia. I just couldn't face working with that stuff again!

Old 07-30-06, 07:01 AM
N
Thanks Bruce.
I am going to use the Hardiplank for the siding for that very reason. I tried to lift a piece of the 4'x9' faux Hardistucco sheets and nearly popped a vein. I couldn't imagine doing the part of my house that is 8 or 9 feet off the ground. My main issue right now is I don't have a single soffit vent in my house. It pretty much makes the ridge vents useless. A majority of my soffit is only 5 or 6 inches wide so I may just go with plywood or something and cut in those 4"x12" aluminum vents from Lowes or Home Depot. I was just thinking I'd continue the Hardi 'theme' in the soffit area but sure as the world I'd turn my house into party central for wasps. Maybe that's not an issue in California or wherever Hardi is made.

Thanks again.

Old 07-30-06, 07:19 AM
B
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
You know, if the majority of the soffit is only 5 to 6" wide, have you considered adding a 1x and using a continuous vent strip? The continuous vent strip is something like 3" wide if I remember correctly.

What I like about the continuous vents is that it can add some uniformity to a soffit that varies in depth and gives you ventilation along the entire length of the soffit.

Old 07-30-06, 07:53 AM
N
Thats not a bad idea. I'll do some looking today and see if anyone has it in stock so I can get a better idea of how it would look.