Cedar Siding -- To Stain or Paint

Old 08-03-06, 07:39 PM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cedar Siding -- To Stain or Paint

Hi everyone.

I'm about to update the exterior of my house. It's all cedar siding and originally painted with oil base paint. Some (south side of garage) has peeled very badly, down to the wood and is being scraped and sanded. The rest is mostly faded and weather beaten with a little peeling after many years. I've had the house for 5 but was built in '65. The paint is hard and most of the overlap joins are still sealed tight like a drum.

I was about to use an acrylic latex but have been advised to use the stains instead. I need some advice on this and do I need a primer if using stain.

many thanks,
G.A.P

Sponsored Links
Old 08-04-06, 05:14 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 301 Votes on 267 Posts
I prefer stains on wood siding because it rarely peels but paint will last longer. I wouldn't recomend using stain over paint [if just a little paint is left it's ok]

Because of the tendancies of cedar to bleed you should use a good exterior oil base primer under paint. It is also necessary under light colored latex stains.

Old 08-05-06, 12:17 PM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
hi, thanks for the input, after some thought on the subject I will be using the oil base paint. Why change a good thing.

Will be purchasing a sprayer for the job. Any suggestions on that - .

tia
g.a.p.

Old 08-05-06, 07:39 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 301 Votes on 267 Posts
Unless you have some spraying experience I would be hesitant to recomend spraying. To get a good job on the siding the sprayed paint should be back brushed or rolled to kind of work the paint into the siding - just spraying can leave small areas void of or barely painted areas. Also there is all the cover up and masking or shielding. You also have to be concious of wind borne overspray.

Unless you have further use of an airless, they can be rented - better machine than most diy sprayers.