Cedar shingle siding - priming question

Old 08-15-06, 02:52 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Cedar shingle siding - priming question

I am planning to start repainting the exterior of my house either this week or next week. The siding is cedar shingle, and has not been repainted since it was originally installed (which was probably around 1990, long before I owned the house).

Since there is some discoloration I've decided to go with Sherwin Williams Woodscapes solid color latex stain. I had assumed that I would need to prime the siding before staining it, but I was told at the store when picking up the stain that this wasn't necessary. He said basically that there was no prime that was well-matched to this stain, and that as long as I prepared the surface properly it would be fine. He also said that the original wood grain would be better preserved if I did not prime.

I just basically wanted to get some second opinions on this before I went ahead and started painting. Is there any advantage to priming, or am I just as well served not doing so? I have never worked with solid color stain before, so I'm far from well-versed on its application.

Old 08-15-06, 07:30 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Welcome to the forums

Generally primer isn't used with stain. Stains are formulated to be both the primer and finish [low tech explanation ] The only time you want to use a primer when staining cedar is when using light colors that the tannins in the cedar would be likely to bleed thru.

Old 08-17-06, 11:59 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Sounds good, thanks for the reply.

I don't think that the color I chose (Chesapeake grey-blue) is light enough that I would have to worry about bleeding, so from the sounds of it I should be all set.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: