Repair or replace staccato siding

Old 08-15-06, 06:13 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Repair or replace staccato siding

Our tudor, built in 1994, has a stucco type of facade that has started to rot. I was told by a friend that it is made from a product that is not used much now called staccato board. It give the look of textured stone but more cost effective I assume.

Anyway, I am planning on repairing it somehow or replacing it if neccessary. I don't have a problem doing the dirty work myself. The reason it rotted is due to the builder running it behind the cement steps and not using flashing or sealing it properly. I tried to do the best sealilng it with caulk and paint two years ago but I think the damage was already done. Any Ideas???

Sponsored Links
Old 08-15-06, 07:16 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 294 Votes on 261 Posts
If it is like the masonite panels [4x8] that look similiar to stucco, water can really destroy it. I have patched it before using durhams rock hard putty. All that is deteriated needs to be removed and of course there needs to be something for the patching to adhere to. I have applied the patching to both the masonite and tar paper backing when it isn't too bad.

IMO patching it is only a temporary fix although it is possible for the repair to last several years.