Replacing Rotted Sill Plate Under Patio Door

Old 08-16-06, 06:35 AM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Replacing Rotted Sill Plate Under Patio Door

I was looking at the category headings and thought this was the closest fit. I have a customer that discovered carpenter ants in a rotted sill plate underneath their patio door. The home sits on a concrete slab and the sill plate consists of 2 levels of 2" x 4". An exterminator came in and removed as much of the rotted wood as possible, but left a good portion of it still in place. Once all the rotted wood is removed, about 6' in length, what's the best method for securing the new sill plate to the foundation and filling the space properly? It appears to me as though the weight of the patio door is sitting on the interior slab and not on the sill itself.

Respectfully,

Handy Matt

Sponsored Links
Old 08-16-06, 07:14 PM
As hard as this may sound I would cut the caulk lines on the out side trim. Remove the trim casing unscrew the door casing and remove it and replace the sill plates and it set back in place like the door wall was a new one.

Old 08-17-06, 02:53 PM
H
I was hoping I could avoid removing any of the existing door. These are french doors and I know there's some metal trim on the exterior and then it butts up against the vinyl siding trim. I'll have to go back and take a look to see how complicated all that might be. It's never easy, is it?

Handy Matt

Old 08-18-06, 08:34 AM
Ya man french doors can be a pain in the butt just installing them! LOL. I wonder if you can get a Saws All in there and cut the threshold under the jambs and pull it out to get to the plate.
Clean it out and slip a fresh sill plate in and use a Ramset to fasten it to the slab and slip back in your threshold and secure it secure firmly back in place.
Just a thought.

Old 08-18-06, 04:07 PM
H
I'll return to the house next week and get a better look at what will be needed to give me access to the sill plate so I can fit it in properly. If I remember right from looking at it, I don't believe it will be a simple saws all cut to remove the threshold. I just hope the whole door doesn't have to come out. I'll give an update when I have the next phase analyzed.

Handy Matt