Can vinyl siding be directly attached to masonite

Old 08-17-06, 08:32 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Can vinyl siding be directly attached to masonite

Hello,

I'm really no expert when it comes to vinyl. I have masonite siding. A small portion of it and a couple of window sills need replaced. I was looking at having that done and having the house painted. Well, I found out that it would not cost that much extra to have the vinyl siding installed on the house. The house was built in 1990-91 and has not been painted since. I have only owned the home for about a year though.

I was told that I would not need any type of backer board put on the masonite and that I could attach the vinyl siding directly to the masonite. I am a little skeptical. The reason I was told is that the backer board would trap moisture and cause the masonite to rot. All of the rotted masonite would be replaced before the vinyl would be installed. The mosonite is smooth with a bead at the bottom.

Can someone please advise me on this?

Thanks.

Mythos

Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-06, 08:54 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I have sided many types of these houses and use 1/4" foam board (fan fold) and sometimes Tyvac paper also under my siding. Hanging my siding with two inch nails.

Old 08-18-06, 09:28 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
We've put vinyl on four different buildings in the last couple years - two were masonite and two were wood siding and we just put the vinyl on over the existing siding in all cases.

Old 08-18-06, 10:20 AM
Group Moderator
Received 643 Votes on 595 Posts
Bridgewater is correct. Additionally, as another idea, tearing off the old siding could be an option- since the house is so new, it likely has tyvek or similar underneath. Tearing off that type of siding is very quick and easy, and would prevent your window trim from appearing "sunken in" after the vinyl siding is installed.

If it was me, I'd tear it off. Why fix siding that you're going to cover up?