Retrofitting Gable Vent

Old 08-23-06, 04:24 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Retrofitting Gable Vent

Hi all. We are in the process of updating the front of our 1970's ranch style house. We are having new windows put in, etc. We would also like to put in a nice looking gable vent the way they are doing on most new houses in the area.

We are only interested in the gable vent for asthetic reasons and it really not need be functional. When i look at the gable vents at lowes it seems that they have some sort of nailing fin that goes behind the siding.

In other words, it looks like the siding is supposed to go on AFTER the gable vent. But i can't do that since the siding is already up. It appears that i would have to cut the siding WAY back to get the fin to nail behind it. Then the trim piece would not cover.

Am i missing something? Can anyone provide suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-23-06, 05:27 PM
W
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
What kind of siding do you have? Most of the vinyl gable vents have a nailing flange and a channel to accommodate the profile of vinyl siding. Retrofitting in vinyl siding shouldn't be too difficult since it's pretty flexible and easy to unclip.

Old 08-23-06, 05:44 PM
Group Moderator
Received 714 Votes on 661 Posts
If you want a vent that is for aethetic purposes only (not functional) they make several kinds that can just be screwed on like a pair of shutters. Most often, the ones I see are made out of cellular vinyl or a hardened kind of foam that has a white finish on it.

Old 08-23-06, 06:47 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
It's just 6" wood lap siding. How would the shutter like louver work with the lap siding? The lap edges would leave gaps would they not?

IOW, wouldn't you have to "sink" the louvers into the siding by cutting it back? Do you have any links to the product you describe? Like i said, i don't need a functional vent.

Old 08-23-06, 09:18 PM
Group Moderator
Received 714 Votes on 661 Posts
Yes, the edges of a surface mount louver that is mounted onto lap siding would leave gaps along the sides. Like I said, it's exactly like hanging shutters on a house. You don't cut the siding when you put up shutters because they are just for looks. Same thing with a louver that is purely for looks.

Some of the gable vents are made to work both ways- either by removing siding... or by just nailing them on right over the existing siding (surface mount). Surface mount is purely for decoration. A black screen on the back of dual-use louvers prevents you from seeing the siding behind. Others that are purely decorative may be solid.

Some have nailing fins and snap rings that cover the nailing fin. Other kinds- mainly the Fypon / urethane/ polyurethane ones- are glued or nailed on. Some have clips that you install first, then you just snap the vent on.

I'm sure you can find a link by using google and using search phrases such as:

surface mount gable vent
polyurethane decorative moulding vent
Fypon