Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Exterior Paneling and All Exterior Sidings
Reload this Page >

what is it called....(Bending Brake for drip cap flashing)

what is it called....(Bending Brake for drip cap flashing)

Old 08-25-06, 07:04 AM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Mid West
Posts: 9
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
what is it called....(Bending Brake for drip cap flashing)


I bought a mobile home for resale, hope to do this as a business.
the tenant had done a neat thing, he had put up strips of flashing over the mobile home windows to divert the water from the roof that was dripping into the top of the windows.
they work well, but obviously he had bent them by hand. I'd like to find an easier, cleaner way to do this. I am looking for ideas from highly creative to spend a few $$$ to do it right....

is there a hand operated machine I could get to do this? I saw my siding and gutter guys using a machine they called a "break"? or is it "brake"? that they used to create profiles from rolled sheet stock. I just need to put a little greater that 90 degree bend in strips 2 feet to 5 feet long. I am hoping to find something to bend strips used, maybe on ebay or some sort of metal fabricating shop, but I have to get the terminology right.

thanks for any help you can give.... Brenda
Old 08-25-06, 07:16 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: USA - N.E.Tn
Posts: 49,249
Received 676 Votes on 598 Posts
It is called a 'bending brake' they come in different shapes and sizes depending on their use. Before I made me one I used to clamp 2 boards together with the metal inbetween, once clamped tight using a little care you can bend a decent line.
Old 08-29-06, 07:11 AM
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 3,185
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Home Depot rents bending brakes.
Old 08-30-06, 05:43 AM
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: St. Louis Missouri
Posts: 247
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Some places call them "siding brakes". They are a pretty common rental item - most folks only need one occasionally, and renting is a good option.

If you don't want to do it yourself, most aluminum siding/soffit/fascia shops will bend pieces to your specs for a few bucks (above the cost of the material). If you don't do a lot of these, or if you need a few each of a number of colors, this approach may save you having to buy much more material (roll stock) than you need. You could have them bend up 8'-10' long sections, that you could trim to fit each window.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: