vinyl shutters

Old 08-27-06, 01:18 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
vinyl shutters

we have vinyl shutters that have faded bad. Can they be painted or is there anything to buy to bring out the original color on them? thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 08-27-06, 02:20 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Although the color goes all the way through, I am not sure of anything that will bring out the original color. However, they can be painted with a good quality enamel. I have removed them from houses and painted them, but it can be a PITA, especially when reinstalling them if you don't mark the back of them with a location number reference.
I also find it easy to slip a heavy paper, such as that used under flooring (not tar paper) behind the edges of the shutters all the way around and paint them, removing the paper when they dry. It saves the R&R time.

Old 08-28-06, 06:10 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 131 Votes on 117 Posts
Be sure they are good and clean prior to painting. I usually use a good quality exterior latex paint and paint them inplace.

Old 08-28-06, 08:09 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The Flood company - same guys that make CWF, sell something I think they call "restore", that supposedly restores the original color of faded vinyl (siding and shutters). I have some faded vinyl shutters that I need to do something with - thought I might try this stuff. I haven't talked to anybody that's used it yet, but I have used some of their other products with success.

Good tips from Chandler and Marksr about how to do the work with the shutters in place - I think the same would be true for this stuff or paint. Taking them down and re-installing is more work than painting them.