Wet wood behind Brick molding

Old 08-30-06, 09:17 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Wet wood behind Brick molding

I have removed some rotted brick molding from around a set of french doors leading to my deck, and also from around a window.
I am going to replace the molding with some vinyl molding I have found at Lowes.It is guaranteed not to rot.
My question is, Does the wood that was under the old molding have to be 100% dry.
As it is now the wood is slightly dampdown near the bottom near the threshold of the door and a little damp around the sill of the window.

Old 08-30-06, 09:32 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Do not cover up wet wood! Let it dry out. Address why moisture was an issue in the first place. Are gutters and downspouts clear and water is carried away from structure. Was trim properly sealed around to keep moisture out? Seal and doors and windows to keep water out. Wet wood decays and is attractive to wood boring insects.

Old 08-30-06, 09:41 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
I agree that it is best for the wood to be dry and the reason the brick mold rotted, addressed.

On a brick home the moulding should be kept painted and caulked to the brick and window - failure of either can let moisture in where it can do damage.

With wood or vinyl siding, flashing should be in place to prevent water from getting behind the brick mould.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: