Tips on replacing a small section of Hardieplank?

Old 09-15-06, 01:00 PM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Tips on replacing a small section of Hardieplank?

My buddy's house has a small section of the siding that has water damage and needs replaced. The section will only require 3-4 pieces of hardieplank, and part of it is directly below a window.

I've never worked with siding before. Since it overlaps, and we're only replacing the lower few planks, are there any tips I need to know for fitting up and appropriately attaching the new parts? Any tips I need to know for fitting it against the bottom edge of a window?

Thanks!

Old 09-15-06, 04:32 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Make sure you purchase the correct width of hardie plank (8"?) Hardie is nailed in the upper part only if properly installed, so it will hide the nails from the atmosphere. As far as removing what you have, locate the nail heads by lifting up the plank, reaching under the plank with a crooked flat nail puller to lift the board off the nail. The old hardie will break off of the nail, so you will have to remove the nail with a puller. Apply the lower pieces, aligning them at the bottom (don't worry about the top), nailing them within 1" of the top. Continue until the last row. This row will be slipped under the last original piece, and you will have to nail through both the layers and caulk the nail head indentation.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: