Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Exterior Paneling and All Exterior Sidings
Reload this Page >

Best to remove 1960's wood shutters of paint in place?

Old 09-15-06, 02:01 PM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I have 4 windows worth of exterior wood shutters on my 1960's ranch in houston. It seems they could be jimmied off pretty easy. Obviously if I could pop them off I could spray paint them very very quickly...

But, how to remount them? They each have about 6 nails driven through the frame into the brick/mortar behind them holding them in place- no hinges or anything .
If I take them off and paint them, how will I remount them without having to put another nail through the front again? Is there some clever way to do this? I just think that renailing through the front and patching the hole will ruin the new slick spray paint job...Should I even pull them off or should I just tape around them and paint them with a brush and cut to the chase?

Suggestions?
Thanks!

Old 09-15-06, 04:26 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
I would pull them. That way you can inspect them and perform necessary repairs before you reinstall them. I have used plastic inserts in the holes they came out of, and have found a 3" large head screw at the orange big box that will hold and won't pull out. Of course you will have to paint the heads as they are naturally silver in color. Good luck with the refinishing.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: