Replacing clapboard siding with vinyl

Old 09-16-06, 09:22 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Post Replacing clapboard siding with vinyl

My house was built in 1892 and I want to replace the siding with vinyl.It is over 3000 sq. ft. and I'm doind the second floor.
I want to put up at least 1 to 2 inches of foam core insulation on the out side of the clapboard siding,because the house has no insulation except in the attic.
The problem is what do I do about the windows. They will really be recessed.
I' m thinking about tearing the old clapboard siding off, And just installing roll insulation,but some people have told me that these houses were made to ventilate and would eventually rot.
I guess I could tear off the old clapbord and replace it with foam core?
If I do, what would be the best Foam core to give me the most R value?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-06, 11:08 PM

I have talked to a man at Lowes and he said that iI can tear off the old siding and since there is nothing behind it, I can install 3.5 inch roll insulation with a .5 inch foam board insulation with a double vapor barrier with the siding over it.this will not change the [osition of the windows. Does this sound plausible?

Old 09-16-06, 11:20 PM

I talked with a man at Lowes and he suggested that I tear of the old siding. There is nothing behind it so I can put in 3.5 inch roll insulation and then put in.5 inch sheating with a double vapor barrier then install the siding over it. This will keep the windows at the same depth.since it was built with real 2x4's this will give the walls a chances to breath to keep it from rotting.Does this sound OK?

Old 09-19-06, 01:24 PM
Group Moderator
Received 241 Votes on 222 Posts
Are you saying that your house has no sheathing beneath your lap siding?

Old 09-19-06, 11:21 PM
no sheathing behind siding?

Yes ,There is nothing behind the claboard siding but a 4" space and then the inside wall.

Old 09-20-06, 06:27 AM
Double Vapor Barrier?

Your plan sounds plausible, but a lot of work. My only issue is the "double vapor barrier"?

Why not just wrap the house in one layer of Tyvek or similar air infiltration barrier once you get the sheathing on?

What is the two layer approach supposed to accomplish?

Old 09-20-06, 08:51 AM
double insulation

I have changed my mind, again.I' going to tear off the siding(which is very easy,I've already done most of it).And put insulation in. Don't know if I can put faced insulation up without overlapping the 2x4's if not I'll put unfaced up and then wrap in tyvec and not use the sheathing

Old 09-20-06, 12:08 PM
Better change your mind again!!!

You can't put vinyl siding up without some type of sheathing behind it.

You can't just nail the vinyl to the exposed 2x4s. Without a flat surface behind the vinyl, it will buckle, dip and do all kinds of bizarre things between the studs.

Old 09-20-06, 11:29 PM
instal vinyl siding

So I cannot install the siding onto just the studs?DO I use the Kraft insullation that is real thin? or something else . I don't have much room under the siding to match it with the windows.

Old 09-20-06, 11:30 PM
a lot easier afterthought

1. purchase insulation (blow in type) - get use of blower for free.
2. buy hole saw - 2" or so and drill a hole at the top and bottom of each stud cavity.
3. blow insulation in exterior walls as needed.
4. 1/4" foil faced "fan fold" insulation. Apply directly over existing clapboard siding (works like tyvek, gives some r-value, and foil reflects)
5. install vinyl siding.

It seems like you went to a lot of trouble (and cost?) to insulate.
Some sheathing MUST be used behind your siding - check the warranty of the product - and local code for that matter.

Lets all remember that just because they are wearing an apron with the store logo on it doesn't make them experts - and even though they are generally helpful and correct and knowlegeable. Not sure why mr. lowe did not suggest blowing insulation in...

Old 09-20-06, 11:34 PM
??

not sure why the walls need to breathe. The double vapor barrier will prevent this from happening. If rot is a concern- rot is generally a moisture issue - it needs to be addressed before the tyvek and vinyl siding go on wether you use sheathing or not.

Old 09-20-06, 11:40 PM
install insulation reply

The reason I can't use blown insulation is this is old house and some of the siding is very fragile and there is some rotten siding and it is also balloon construction. The insulation would just fall to the ground underneath the house

Old 09-20-06, 11:45 PM
Insall vinyl siding

Can I put the siding over tyvec with no sheathing underneath?

Old 09-20-06, 11:59 PM
insulation insulation

Unless the bottom or "sole" plate is rotted out and your studs are sitting directly on the dirt, blown in insulation will work. Even balloon frame houses used a top and bottom plate in the walls.

Anyway. You mentioned that there wasn't "much room under the siding to match it with the windows". Not sure what you mean here. Was there no exterior trim around the windows?

No. You cannot put siding over tyvek with no sheathing underneath. By sheathing I mean plywood or tongue&groove boards. You can even use the "fiber sheathing" products if available in your area. You need to cover the 2x4's with something soild to give the house support and also give the siding something to lay up against.

Think of plastic wrap. put some saran wrap over a glass. it's tight, right? Push your finger in the center of the plastic wrap.
What happens? The plastic wrap gives and probably will stretch and dent or you may even poke your finger clear through it. now, cover the bottom of the glass with plastic wrap and try to poke your finger through it. can't do it. there is something solid behind it. You may tear the plastic, yes, but there is still something solid there.

Vinyl siding is durable - yes. But it expands and contracts with the temperature. A 12' piece can grow and shrink as much as 1". And it is not completely air tight. You really would be hating life if next summer during a week of 95 degree temps a seam on your vinyl came loose. Then it rained. and soaked the insulation behind it. and it ruined your drywall (probably plaster) and .... you get the point.

Old 09-21-06, 08:54 AM
Installing Vinyl siding

I'm planning to put up insulation,Then Tyvec,then 1/4 inch Kraft sheathing ,then the vinyl siding.Does this sound OK?
There is trim around the windows, but it butts up even with the siding.

Old 09-21-06, 09:01 AM
faced insulation

Can I put in faced insulation from the outside, with the facing, facing inside without stapling the tabs to the inside of the studs?

Old 09-21-06, 09:19 AM
Wink

Can I put in faced insulation from the outside, with the facing, facing inside without stapling the tabs to the inside of the studs?
Yes you sure can.
You also should use a sheet of plywood on all corners to be a sway stop for the home then what ever under the vinyl. I haave use just the black board. let the vinyl have lots of room the grow.

ED

Old 09-21-06, 11:33 PM
Sheathing

I think I will put 1/4 inch OSB board then Tyvec then the vinyl siding.The studs are 24" on center and I have built a shed with this and I had no buckling of the sheathing.It is almist 15 years old

Old 09-22-06, 07:41 AM
A house is not a shed

Don't "cheap out" and try to sheath a house with 1/4" OSB. I'm not sure this even exists as I have never seen it in any lumber yard in MD. I doubt 24" O.C. with 1/4" complies with any code for a residence.

Perhaps it is available in your region but this isn't acceptable as you need to make sure the corners of your house are properly braced to avoid racking. The claps you took off helped provide this function to some extent before and you need at least 1/2" plywood now or cut in some metal bracing into the studs. The plywood is the way to go to make it easy to provide the bracing as well as the flat surface on which to secure the Tyvek and vinyl siding.

Old 09-25-06, 09:30 AM
clapboard siding

The clapboard siding is only 1/4 inch thick.I'm just worried that putting up 1/2 inch OSB and the vinyl will make everything stick out too far as Im also replacing all the windows too. The original windows are 84" and I'm replacing them with 62' and 54' windows. I think I am going with new construction windows instead of replacement windows.
The corners are already braced with 4x6's so I don't think I need any more bracing.