installing insulation from the outside

Old 09-17-06, 07:07 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
installing insulation from the outside

I'm going to reside my house buillt in 1892.There is nothing behind the old siding. Can I put in faced insulation with the vapor barrier on the outside under the vinyl siding I'm installing? The house was built with real 2x4's. With 3.5 inch insulation there should be a gap of at least .5 inches behind the inside walls.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-17-06, 07:35 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
If you are removing all the old siding, yes you can install kraft faced insulation, but the vapor barrier must be to the living side, not the outside. If you are not removing the old siding, you have the option of drilling 1" holes at the top, bottom and middle of eah cavity, which in your case may be 24", not sure. Then rent an insulation blower and blow in the insulation, capping off the holes with the appropriate plug, then tyvek the outside and install your siding.

Old 09-17-06, 09:42 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
But what would it hurt putting it in the ouitside,and if it does can I put in just unfaced insulation? My house is old and the siding is rotting in places it needs to be replaced with vinyl.Also it is balloon construstion. The blown in insulation would just fall through.The spacing is 24"on center with corner pieces off center to hild the corners in place.

Old 09-18-06, 04:39 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
You won't be able to use fiberglas insulation at all if you have to compress it, as that will negate the insulation properties. It must loft up in order to maintain air space. The best you can apply over the siding will be the 1/2" foam insulation, but the R factor is really low.
Whatever you apply on the outside, you need to remember it can't protrude past the plane of your door and window finish. Good luck with the project, and post back if we can help further.