Treated Wood and effects by clorox


Old 09-19-06, 06:09 AM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Herndon
Posts: 11
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Treated Wood and effects by clorox

Hello there,

I have a small balcony off of the master bedroom and had a great deal of mold accumulate on it. Unfortunately, I recently found out that I am highly allergic to mold spores. So, I have cleaned off the mold with a combination of clorox (highly concentrated) and water.

Now, I'm wondering if the clorox has significantly degraded the effectiveness of the treated lumber (which now has a "bleached" look).

Any thoughts or suggestions on where I might find more information on this would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-20-06, 08:20 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: USA - N.E.Tn
Posts: 45,914
Received 104 Votes on 95 Posts
Bleach shouldn't affect the PT qualities of the wood. Wood itself can be damaged by too high of a concentration of bleach. It is usually best to use 35-50% bleach mixed with water, rinse well.

Using a coating over the PT wood will help to reduce the mold growing conditions. Extra mildewcide can be added to most stains/paints.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: