Patching outdoor screening

Old 09-21-06, 07:22 AM
gsb
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Patching outdoor screening

We need to patch three of the foundation crawlspace air flow ventilation screens (they are around 16"x6" and made of a plastic grid with wire screening between the plastic parts) because of the gaps made in the screening to allow for various wiring (a few mice gained entry through these gaps.) It would be awkward/difficult to just patch with screening because of the plastic parts spaced among the screening. I thought I could just spackle something over the gap overlapping onto the wiring also (is that safe and ok to do with various wiring?) and lay some metal screening in it to reinforce it. We have some spackling compound and joint compound but need something waterproof as these are sometimes exposed to rain. Could I use caulk or is there a better alternative? Something strong and waterproof (and hopefully available in smaller amounts at home improvement store.) Any other ideas? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 09-21-06, 08:10 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 104 Votes on 95 Posts
I would think it would be easier to replace the whole vent than repair the screen. Those vents don't cost much [$5?] All you need to do is chip out the mortar to remove and set the new one in fresh mortar.

Another option would be to build a frame out of PT wood, staple new screen wire to it and insert it in the opening behind the foundation vent.

Old 09-21-06, 03:43 PM
gsb
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks, went to home improvement store and bought some replacement vents.