Soffit question

Old 09-21-06, 06:56 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Soffit question

I recently completed an 8X12 addition to my house and am in the process of siding it. The roof has a 18" overhang so I installed vinyl fascia on the fascia board and had it create a 1/2 inch track between the bent edge of the vinyl fascia and the bottom adge of the 1x fascia board. I than installed f-channel on the wall opposite this track, and then installed vented vinyl soffit between the two tracks. My question is...do I need to nail it at all? It fits in perfectly and seems like it won't come out, but I've read that the soffit has to be nailed in. My gut says "if it ain't broke, don't try to fix it" Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-21-06, 08:51 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
You should nail the leading edge at the soffit with small nails, to keep them from moving with the wind. They will rattle less also.

Old 09-21-06, 09:03 PM
Group Moderator
Received 720 Votes on 666 Posts
Vinyl soffit is usually nailed with roofing nails in the nailing slots that are provided in that leading edge. When I use vinyl (infrequently) I pin the pieces with 2 roofing nails spaced about 16" apart so that the pieces of soffit can't wiggle around, and so that they remain parallel to each another. That way if you have a high wind situation, they won't be going anywhere.

Old 10-22-06, 09:48 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Last edited by touringfool; 11-13-06 at 07:26 PM.