Type/Size of nail to use on Cedar siding

Old 09-25-06, 10:45 AM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Type/Size of nail to use on Cedar siding

Is there a reccomended nail size and type to use for cedar siding?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 09-25-06, 11:48 AM
U
Is this cedar plywood (like T1-11), beveled planks, board and batten, or cedar shingles? You may get different answers from other folks, but I would recommend in the first three, where the nails will be exposed, that you use a galvanized casing nail - galvanized so it doesn't rust, and casing because they have smaller heads and thinner shafts. For shingles, where the nail will be covered by the next row of shingles, I would suggest either a galvanized roofing nail, or galvanized box nail - both have larger heads than normal.

As for size, that depends on what's under your siding. If you have foam board on the exterior of your walls, you should use a longer nail to reach the studs or underlayment behind the foam. For board and batten, be sure to allow for the thickness of the siding, the batten, and anything under the siding, just like before.

Old 09-25-06, 01:01 PM
W
It's the beveled planks. Thanks for the response Ubob.

Old 09-25-06, 01:29 PM
U
You are welcome - hope it helps.

Old 10-02-06, 04:34 AM
K
Galvanized nails react with cedar and will leave black streaks, stainless steel is the best. S.S. nails are more expensive, but thenagain so is cedar. In locations where the fastner is not directly exposed to the weather like sidewall shingles, or if your painting the clapboards, galv is fine.

Old 10-02-06, 06:46 AM
U
I think the black streaks occur where the galvanized coating has been knocked off the nailhead - I would be surprised if there was a chemical reaction happening between the coating and the cedar. Also, the application of sealer to the cedar usually prevents most streaking.

I have done several cedar siding jobs, and dozens of cedar decks, using all sorts of galvanized brackets, bolts, and fasteners that do not have streaks from where the galvanized and the cedar make contact.

Stainless steel is good, but is (I think) prohibitively expensive.

Old 10-02-06, 05:22 PM
K
Ubob, I've always lived and worked near the ocean, which is a pretty harsh environment. All the cedar w/ galv I see that is left to weather naturally, (which is pretty common here, especially with shingles) seems to have the streaks, that may be the difference. SS nails go about $25 a box for 8d rings, way more than HDGalv, but its cheap insurance to me.

Old 10-04-06, 07:48 PM
U
Kona, Thanks, I see where you are coming from, I hadn't considered a coastal/salt spray kind of environment. I think the problem comes from the salt water reacting with the galvanizing, which results in the staining (especially since the cedar isn't sealed). I have seen similar stains on old boats with galvanized hardware (same reason most now use stainless steel).

This is one of the things I really like about this forum, everyone's experience helps educate everybody - nobody has experience with all situations in all climates/regions/circumstances. Thanks again.

Old 10-17-06, 12:31 PM
A
Just use galvanized nail. Usually a 2 inch would do the job.