Hardy Board siding trimming around windows

Old 10-04-06, 08:38 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hardy Board siding trimming around windows

Hello,
I am enclosing my outdoor patio and have installed new construction vinyl windows which have a flange (about 1.5" wide) all around.

Where are you suppose to trim the Hardiplank siding around these window flanges?

I thought that perhaps I should trim the main Hardyboard (thin sheet) so that it wont overlap over the flanges and then install the the thicker Hardyplank strip all around the window. In this way the flanges will be visually covered and if the window ever needs replacing the only thing to do would be to remove this thicker Hardiplank strip rather than break the main sheet.

The problem that I see with this this is that there would be a dead space between the vinyl flange and the back side of the Hardiplank strip due to the difference in thickness.

I am in the right track? or is there a better way to do this?
Thanks in advance

Old 10-04-06, 10:40 AM
D
Check out the instructions for trim applications for windows at:

http://www.jameshardie.com/homeowner/installation/harditrim_installation.php

I hope that this helps.

DWC

Old 10-04-06, 12:12 PM
S
Thanks for the link. (I should have known to look at the manuufacturer's webpage first).
The installation instructions say that the trim around the windows could either be butt-joined to the rest of the Hardie siding or over-lapped over it using appropiate shims for the deph missmatch. I think I will do the latter since a lap join woul be easier than a butt-joint.
Thanks again for the link.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: