Prodigy vs. Hardiboard

Old 10-23-06, 07:23 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Prodigy vs. Hardiboard

I am considering these two options for my home. I know that the Prodigy has a higher R value, but I have heard a lot of conflicting information about vinyl and cement board. I have heard that because vinyl is not porous that water may build up behind it and rot out the foam and your home. I have heard that cement boards allow for mold growth. Any ideas or opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-26-06, 08:56 PM
T
Any advice at all?

Old 04-11-07, 06:36 AM
I'm in the process of having my house sided. I now have aluminum over wood shakes. With any one of these products the aluminum and wood shakes would be stripped off to the get to the original house skin, then Tyvek moisture barrier applied.

I researched CertainTeed CedarBoards, CraneBoard and Alside Prodigy insulated vinyl products and have decided to go with Alside Prodigy.

Alside Prodigy has the highest R value (R-5 versus R-4), has thicker insulation (1 1/2" versus 1 1/4"), has longer boards (16' 8" versus 12' 6" and 12' 1"), is UL rated and EnergyStar rated (the others have neither rating), and the boards are not hung by nailing through the insulation (the others must be nailed through insulation).

All three have weep holes to allow moisture and water to drain out. As long as it's installed properly there shouldn't be much water, and the Tyvek wrap should protect the house from the moisture/mold if any, so I'm not worried about it.

Good luck with your project.

Old 06-06-07, 10:57 PM
T
jdegeorge update

I read your post on your choice to install Prodigy vinyl siding. I am also deciding what product to install. I was wondering how you like the Prodigy line. And has there been any problems with "buckling" or anything else since the installation. I to am leaning towards the Prodigy over the Craneboard. I did have one final question. Being that this is a bottom/up installation opposed to a top/down one, doesn't that create a problem when getting to top and a chance there will be only a half or quarter strip left? Does there have to be measuring done first before the first run is nailed? Thank You.

Old 11-25-07, 08:15 AM
S
Vinyl above staining Hardiboard below?

We have Hardiboard painted with Behr paint (primer and top coat-10 years old) that has vinyl above it. There are stains running down from where the board (covered with vinyl) that separates the two. We had the house pressure cleaned this week and the stains are still there. They look like the color has been removed somewhat from the Hardiboard from water runoff over the top of the vinyl covered 2 x 4 that runs along bottom of siding and top of Hardiboard. These bleached places have been there for most of the 10 years. Otherwise the paint is in fantastic condition everywhere else on the house. Would runoff from the Vinyl have bleached out the paint below or would just constant rain runoff in certain area remove the gloss/color in those areas? The other side of the house is all Hardiboard so we can not compare the two sides.