aluminum coated siding peeling. is this a defect?

Old 01-29-07, 07:21 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
aluminum coated siding peeling. is this a defect?

Has anyone had a problem with alcoa vinylcoated aluminum siding peeling. The house was built in 1988 and the siding was installed by the builder which I am in the process of trying to contract. It seems that the sides facing the sun are the worst and the end of each siding length are peeling away from the aluminum. I thought I would see if this has been a problem in the past beforefor I talk to my builder

Old 01-31-07, 04:00 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
In addition to contacting your builder, you may want to contact Alcoa directly just in case there is some sort of warranty that they would have to honor. Your builder will suggest the same, since the siding is so old. Aluminum siding is not notorious for longevity of its color.

Old 01-31-07, 06:06 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
Most aluminum siding needs to be painted when 25-35 yrs old. Proper cleaning and prep is key for long lasting paint job.

Old 03-26-07, 05:59 PM
B
Same problem....

I have the EXACT same problem with my house - built in 1988, side towards the sun peeling, starting at the edges. This certainly leads one to believe this is a defect. Curious as to what you did, looks like I have to take it all off as stripping it (I have been told) would be ridiculously expensive.

Last edited by BJ2007; 03-26-07 at 07:17 PM. Reason: Changed grammer
Old 03-26-07, 08:11 PM
T
PVC (polyvinylchloride) is degraded when heat and sun hits it. Siding around windows where heat and light are reflected tend to be problem areas, as to the south and west sides of homes. Too, with vinyl over aluminum there are likely two different expansion/contraction rates going on. Heat can break the bond between the two unlike materials. Darker colors absorb more light and heat and deterioration tends to be quicker. The thickness of PVC products is also a factor. Thickness and tensile strength of siding is important. Many products have additives touted to be heat stabilizer, UVB blocker to protect color, and more. PVC lawn furniture, water hoses, and other products tend to deteriorate in the landscape.

Depending upon the manufacturer and style, product and material warranties can vary all the way up to a Lifetime Limited Warranty (most do not read the fine print). If you know the manufacturer, contact them to have their area rep to come out and assess your situation. Note: Some warranties are nontransferable to new owners. If they do, they prorate the value of the replacement based on age and do not cover installation costs. At about 20 years, my guess is that your are reaching the end of any potential warranty period. At best you may have 30 years. Installation warranties are usually one year. Warranties are also probably not based on extremes of temperature and light for siding. Factory reps can always blame installation process a reason for failure, such as lack of insulative backing, protection from reflective heat from windows, or simply it's the wrong product for your structure and its exposure to the elements, especially after 20 years.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: