vinyl siding project questions

Old 02-08-07, 06:46 AM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
vinyl siding project questions

Here is some background on my house: its a multilevel house single family located in southern NH, it was built in 1978, and the windows are original with rotting sills. The front and back sliding glass door are drafty and need to be replaced. The front staircase is brickwork that is the end of its life and there is a 10x12 deck, that also at the end of its life, where the sliding glass door is. The siding is vinyl overlaid on existing OBS clapboard that is rotting/ swell and needs replacement, which was not installed correctly. Needless to say because of the scope and cost of these projects, I have questions that need some answering

I started the windows last year using Pella Proline new construction windows, which is a headache to install because I have to cut into the siding but could care less because Ill be replacing it soon. Next will be the front and back doors, then dismantling the brick stairs case in the front.

Afterwards I plan on removing the brickwork stairs and the vinyl siding.

Questions:
At what point should I get quotes from contractor for vinyl siding, after the windows, doors installed and the brick staircase removed or before?

How do you remove existing vinyl siding and will I save in labor cost if I do it myself?

Lowes has a product from GAF its shingle looking vinyl, and Home Depot has a cedar looking product from Certain Tweed. What should a homeowner keep in mind in choosing siding?

Is it better to have a precast staircase placed in before or after the siding installed?

Even though the back deck needs to be replaced, I can afford siding and a deck all at once. It is required to remove the deck in order to install siding? Or can I just remove the head board to the house and either reattach after the siding is on or just at lots of cross braces for extra deck support or just remove it the deck all together and have a new on built later?

thanks
Frank

Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-07, 07:23 AM
You have lots of projects going there Frank. this is how I would approach your areas of concern. I would get your contractor to give you a bid first.
When he is there, ask him what he wants removed before the project begins.
He will tell you. He will tell you about your steps and deck and etc. I would let him remove the old siding himself. Many reasons here. He will not tear off the whole house at one time. He will tear off and replace one side at a time. This will keep your house dry during the process. I would have your new doors and windows installed before siding. I would get a set of precast steps. This is where you will really save some money. There are alot of different sidings out there. Some require special items to attach them. I would tell your contractor that you would like him to accompany you to pick out the siding. He will like that and will give you a better job. He will also be able to tell you all the different parts you need. Remember, you will be replacing some sheeting also. He will know the best thickness of siding for your area. This whole thing can be a very fun job. I do several jobs of this kind every year. Your contractor will also keep your yard clean and hauled away when removed from your house. Good Luck

Old 02-08-07, 07:57 AM
L
Thanks Jack.
I was considering having the sliding installed sometime in Oct/ Nov time, because it will take all spring and summer to do windows / doors. Do you think I should push out the date to next spring instead?

I was considering removing the vinyl siding myself, because as I'm replacing the windows on scaffoling I figured I might as well remove the vinyl since I'm right there. I was not going to remove the OBS clappboard, underneath the siding just the vinyl. My thinking is I would save $$$ on removing the vinyl myself.

Thanks
Frank

Old 02-08-07, 08:16 AM
W
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Frank - I think you might be better off in the long run if you also remove the clapboard. The siding will hang better. Take a peek under the claps to see if there is a housewrap installed. If there's no housewrap, removing the old claps gives you the opportunity to install some.

When you are taking bids, discuss all of this with the contractors. Ask for estimates based on you doing the removal vs them. You might consider removing the existing vinyl siding as you swap out the windows and have them remove the claps when they install the new siding.

Your contractor will also have access to a wider variety of vinyl siding choices. I wouldn't settle on the big box brands.

Old 02-08-07, 08:24 AM
L
My mistake, I was planning on removing all the siding, vinyl and OBS as well. I guess I should have been clearer on that. I am considering removing the vinyl myself to save some cash and then have the contractor remove the rest, which is the OBS material.

I don't want to buy siding at Home depot or Lowes, because their selection was limited and the colors did not interest me

Frank

Old 02-08-07, 03:24 PM
You can remove the siding if your wish. But, I doubt if you will save much money if in fact any. Remember, if you remove the siding before the house is ready to be sided, then it is open to the weather and the elements. You can side in the fall. Not a problem. We are going to start installing siding on Monday. Temp will be -15. Not a problem. As I said before, if you take it off, you haul it away. I will only take siding off just before the new siding is put on. Sheeting, house wrap, and tyvak and sometimes fan fold insulation, and siding are all installed within a day or so. When I reside, I never charge for removing vinyl siding. Only wood or cedar or the other types.

Old 02-12-07, 08:56 AM
L
I was at my local lumber/ hardware store in NH this weekend and they sell and install vinyl. They have a extensive selction to choose from. One style I saw was shingle vinyl it looks great has anyone ever used/ or installed that? I notice that because its very grooved to simulate the wood grainy look is there a downside to that?

Frank